A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY
This impressive Georgian building was built around 1807 as a private house for the Wilson family, who were ship builders from Hull (Wilson Line). The land the building sits on was given to them by local gentry the Bethall family, who, at the time, were the largest landowners in Holderness.
Around 10 years later came the completion of Leven Canal, which finishes behind the adjacent buildings. This was funded by the Bethall family and linked Leven to the River Hull and the North Sea. It was this introduction of activity surrounding the building that instigated the current restaurant part of the building being used as a public house (circa 1817).
For approximately six months, the pub was named after a ship belonging to the Wilson family, although the name is not recorded. The New Inn was given its current name in 1818 and was one of four public houses trading in Leven at the time; the others being The Minerva (located in the white house that stands opposite the pub), The Hare & Hounds and The Blue Bell (opposite the butchers).
The New Inn thrived as it originally had its own brewery in the building that sits within the current car park.
Because of its outbuildings and being situated on the old main road from Hull, and on the Beverley to Bridlington route, many assume The New Inn was previously a coaching inn. This was not the case, however, as the buildings surrounding the enclosed courtyard were used as grain stores, while the stables were used for the horses to transport grain to and from the canal.
The outbuildings have been put to other uses in recent times. During the Second World War Canadian air men were billeted in them. Evidence of this was found during renovation work carried out in 2002, with drawings of the logo that was on the side of Canadian planes being found on the outbuilding walls.
The building also has sporting pedigree as well. Previous landlord Trevor Upton was related to the 1966 Boxing Commonwealth Gold medalist Roger Tighe, who had a sparing gym set up in the outbuilding at the rear of the courtyard. Another boxing great has also stayed at The New Inn, retired Scottish boxer Ken Buchanan MBE, who is former World Lightweight Champion (1970).
Since 2016, The New Inn has been a family-run free house. While much renovation and refurbishment has taken place in the last six year, it has always been essential to keep as many original features as possible to highlight the wonderful character of this beautiful building.
Within the bar and restaurant, you will find many historical pictures of the pub and the village dotted around.
Contact us to book a table for any occasion or if you're planning a special event.
Please call 01964 542223 or email firstname.lastname@example.org